Metabolomics & Lipidomics
Metabolomics is the quantitative measurements of metabolites, small molecule substrates, intermediates and other products of metabolism in a biological system. Owing to the complexities of the organismal lipidomes, lipidomics, a subset of metabolomics, has emerged as an independent omics, which is devoted to profiling the lipidome of a cell, tissue, or organism. Metabolomics analysis provides metabolic profiles conferring an integrated view of cellular metabolism.
The metabolism of a biological system is under regulations of signaling pathways. Thus, it is of great value to study how perturbations in signaling pathways affect the metabolism of the system.
Mass spectrometry (MS) is a widely used technique for metabolomics and lipidomics analysis. It allows sensitive detection and accurate quantification of metabolites in a high-throughput manner.
Adapting the most advanced technologies, CD BioSciences offers a panel of MS-based solutions to enable broader and deeper analyses into the metabolome and lipidome. Besides, you may also find our Metabolism Assays service helpful.
MS-based Technologies for Metabolomics & Lipidomics
Analytes in a metabolomic sample comprise a highly complex mixture, with diverse chemical properties. Thus, sample separation is needed before detection. Coupling with proper separation methods, MS can be both sensitive and specific.
- Gas Chromatography (GC), offering very high chromatographic resolution, is a widely used separation technique for metabolomic analysis. However, it requires chemical derivatization for many biomolecules.
- High-performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) is the most common separation technique for metabolomic analysis. It requires no derivatization for polar molecules, and separates molecules in the liquid phase, but has a lower chromatographic resolution in contrast with GC.
- Capillary electrophoresis (CE) is most appropriate for charged analytes. It has higher separation efficiency than HPLC and can be used for a wider range of analytes than GC.
For MS, analytes must be imparted with charge and transferred to the gas phase. The ionization techniques applied in metabolomics & lipidomics analysis include electron ionization (EI), electrospray ionization (ESI), atmospheric-pressure chemical ionization (APCI), desorption electrospray ionization (DESI) and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI).
Our MS-based solutions include but are not limited to the following:
Detecting and quantifying metabolites (products of lipid, carbohydrate, and amino acid metabolism) and comparing metabolome of different systems (cells, tissues, or organisms under different treatments or with different genetic backgrounds).
|Targeted Metabolomics||Amino acids; Monosaccharide, disaccharide & phosphorylated sugar derivatives; TCA; Nucleotides.|
|non-Targeted Metabolomics||Amino acids; TCA; Glycolysis; Nucleotides; Hormone metabolites.|
|Metabolic Flux Analysis||Glucose Metabolic Flux; Glutamine Metabolic Flux; Untargeted Metabolic Flux.|
We offer quantitative lipidomics analysis covering the whole lipidome of a biological system:
|Phospholipids||PC, PE, PS, PI, PG, PA, CL, LBPA, LPC, LPE, LPS, LPI, LPA.|
|Sphingolipids||SM, Cer, Sph, S1P, GluCer, GalCer, SL, LacCer, GM3, Gb3, etc.|
|Sterols||cholesterol, cholesteryl esters, cholesterol metabolites and other sterols including sitosterol, campesterol, etc.|
|Phosphatidylinositol phosphates||PIP, PIP2, PIP3.|
|Steroids and Hormones|
|Free fatty acyls and their derivatives||short and long fatty acids, eicosanoids.|
|Glycerol lipids||TAG, DAG, MAG.|
|Glycolipids||MGDG, DGDG, AC1PIM1, AC1PM2.|
|Acetyl-CoA, Acyl-CoA, CoA-linked compounds||crotonyl-CoA, glutaryl-CoA, HMG-CoA, acetoacetyl-CoA|
- Toxicity Assessment (Toxicology) - determining the metabolic changes caused by treatments or drugs.
- Functional Genomics - determining the metabolic changes caused by a genetic manipulation.
- Metabologenomics – correlating microbial-exported metabolites with predicted biosynthetic genes.
CD BioSciences offers cost-effect, high quality and hassle-free metabolomics & lipidomics solutions to our clients worldwide. We guarantee to deliver our products and results on time. Please feel free to contact us.
For research use only. Not intended for any clinical use.